Some Blogs that I follow

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Goats

Redwood Hill Farm
Sebastopol, California

I was invited to visit a goat farm and bring along my camera over the weekend.
It is only thirty minutes away from my home.

What a treat for me to see two male bucklings.
This male was the second one, his brother much bigger.
Imagine being only ten short minutes old.
I said to him, "welcome to the world" little one.
I was amazed at the size of the smaller one, for I expected them much smaller.
All the goats on this farm have names too.
It was a open festival, with music, yogurt, cheeses, and tons of goats.
A very clean well cared for farm, big operation with great workers.
I was just not thinking I would get to see newborns.

A goat is a kid.
A female kid is called a doeling.
An uncastrated male is called a buckling.
After castration he becomes a wether.

You learn something everyday...







She thought she couldn't,  I told her, "sure you can do it".
I did not know this girl, fun watching her smile when she did.
The glasses, the blonde hair, this one reminded me of Marilyn Monroe.


9 comments:

MadSnapper said...

did you get to hold it? or anoher one a little older? i have held many of the baby minature goats and they are so light. I love goats. i now have Goat Envy... i wish i wish i were there with you.

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

I like how pink and fresh looking he is. I suppose that will not last for long. What a unique experience you had.

TexWisGirl said...

that sounds like a fantastic festival to be able to go see. :) he's a cutie!

Elettra said...

You did really a nice experience, very delicate and tender image of the goat!

Janie said...

Sandra:
No did not hold the newborn. He was with the worker and they brought baby to quieter location.
I did get to milk a goat, that was cool. I have milked cows in the past when I was a child. How did you come up with the name of Envy for your goat?
SINBAD: Pink little nose and the fur so bright white. I still can't believe the goat was as big as it was!

Lisa said...

Oh Janie I love this blog . How very very sweet they are. I wanted sheep but it wont happen.
xo

magda said...

Oooo Janie
Lovely photos !!!
So tender !!!
Thank you

Janie said...

Aw, such a sweet little buckling. You were lucky to see such a wee newborn.

Janie said...

LISA:
Goats are very cute, but they do smell, and ya have to be way out in the country to have a farm like this one.
JANIE:
I am a Janie too! Yeah, what is not nicer than a little buckling. Even if they nibble at everything in sight.