Some Blogs that I follow

Monday, December 27, 2010

Graveyards


There is something about graveyards that intrigue me.
Maybe because of the quiet peaceful setting, and old stone headstones.
I remember taking this same photo a several years ago. 
 Exact same spot, with the near identical wreath on the same stone!
A family member must be replacing it, the wreath was in excellent condition.
I walked and drove around the area looking at designs, dates, names and places  where people were born.
Some families are all together.
The website for this graveyard stated,
" Life has Changed not Ended..."
This is the Catholic Calvary Cemetery, located in Santa Rosa, California.
It was opened Memorial Day in 1965.


I decided to paint the above photo as to post it more discreetly.
There was a plan, they had photos on each of their resting places.
The father of this family died in 1950 when he was 78 years old.
Wife/mother passed on in 1970 at the age of 87 years.
The youngest son born in April 1907 and died July 1910.
Only three short years old. 
The middle son, in 1969, he was only 61 years old.
Third son and the oldest of siblings died in 1985, he was 79 years old.
I thought it was endearing that they are now all together even after death.
It made me realize how connected Italian families are to one another.
They did not live to be as old as most people do these days.
The Italian immigration was hard, the climate, hard work, and illness.
Graveyards are ways of learning more about history.
Often a person walks away thinking and appreciating each day.
Life is short...


9 comments:

SouthernSass said...

Life is short! I find it comforting that the family is still "together" even after death.

What Karen Sees said...

Lovely and thought provoking images. I especially love the first one with a peak of a beautiful sky that color coordinates with the wreath.

Janie said...

SouthernSass:
I agree with you, not many families are able to do that these days.

Karen:
I forgot to mention, and admit that I did put the sunset sky in behind. The sky was drab with no color. Thanks for noticing that.

Berit said...

Interesting post Janie. I think graveyards are peaceful places with much history in. You can see that for some people, life was short, and others lived long lifes.
Hope you have had a nice christmas holiday.
I have had a wonderful christmas with my family, and I'm thankful for that.
Wishing you a nice week, and soon a happy new year too:)
Greetings from Berit.

Oakland Daily Photo said...

I agree that cemeteries are intriguing places to visit and photograph. Touching commentary.

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. Please come by again.
Carolyn

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Remember how I used to take you on a picnic date to the graveyard in Rose Hills before we were married? They are always so peaceful and quiet. Now as I have grown older I do not find them appealing anymore. I start looking at the dates on the tombstones, do the math and realize that I am right there in the timeline. That's scary stuff I can do without!

Becky said...

I have taken my share of graveyard photos. Sinbad certainly has a point though; sounds just like him.

Janie said...

Berit:
Thank you. Hope your New Year is a good one as well.

Oakland Daily Photo:
Thanks for stopping in, and I count on you for reporting the happenings in your neck of the woods.

Sinbad:
Yep, remember those days. I don't think graveyards will never NOT be appealing to me regardless of the dates. Timelines are different to all of us. I just don't think about them. I like the landscapes, structures, and seeing family come visit loved ones.

Becky:
Thanks Becky. I remember classrooms going to graveyards to do impression drawings. Like with leafs on paper with crayons. Could see you doing that or something else creative.

Jane

Remi said...

Great pictures of the grave`s ..
:)